Thursday, July 1, 2010

Somatic Dysfunction

So guys I've jumped aboard the crazy train. Yesterday morning I woke up thinking "I wanna run today." Wouldn't you know I got a text from my super athletic friend sent six hours before saying "Wanna run tomorrow?" I took this as a sign. I had all the good vibes going about this said run.

Turns out, I like running/walking. Especially with Leila, it's very therapeutic. I appreciate that she didn't try her 6 minute mile and expect me to keep up. I double appreciate that we followed each lap that we ran with a lap walked. Over all, we walked/ran 1 mile and walked an additional 3. Total distance 4 miles. Total time 1 hour 30something minutes. Maybe 40something. All the same, it was mostly social. I huffed and puffed my way through the run and played therapist when we walked. You know, listening to another person is a good way to discretely catch your breath? Just saying! And making the person you run with laugh makes them slow down? You know, in case you ever needed to know that. And wearing shorts that creates the illusion that you gots some extra anatomy is always a great point (haha) of amusment. All these factors create for a not so terrible run. In fact, I liked it. I'll try it again tomorrow even though Leila is out of town. Maybe. Ok, I will. I'll tell you about it later.

Anyway, we made friends with a British dude who had knee surgery 2 years ago. He was attempting to run a 6 minute mile. He did it in 6:30. I'm sure he and his wife were thoroughly amused by Leila and I.

There was something really endearing about that couple though. You could tell that they were in love. It was really special. As it would turn out, they have a six month old baby and this was the first time they had been out together in a while. They chose the track at my former high school as the place for their hot date. I, you know couch potato extraordinaire, would have chosen a better spot. I'd say they were in their early 30s, both pretty active people. I could tell by they time they spend on that stinkin track that they both took great pride in taking care of their bodies. Ok, so the husband was shirtless and had muscles everywhere. But after the Britt's attempt at his six minute mile, the couple happily walked around the track for what seemed like forever, intermixing jogging every so often.

I'm not sure why this couple made me smile so much or why I'm telling you about them. Ah, I do know. I'd imagine strictly in the physical, these weren't the same people they married. The wife still had baby weight, the husband's left leg had a huge scar, he hadn't ran in 2 years. I'm sure their hours spent in the gym were replaced with feedings and physical therapy. Yet and still, the love that they had for each other was remarkable. Wifey was timing his mile, cheering him all the way. Hubby giving it his all and still coming up short. Wifey offers her support. While they walk the track, Hubby's completely engaged in whatever Wifey is saying. Truly interested. I have no idea what they talked about but to the British guy it was the most interesting topic in the world. At one point they laid on the polevault mat and talked. They may have even played the 'what shape is that cloud' game for all I know. When they jogged, even though Brit Hubby could almost run a six minute mile, he kept up a playful jog within pace with his wife. This couple touched me. I nearly offered to babysit so they could run more often. Although, I'm not sure I caught their names.

It's amazing that the last thing I'd ever want is for someone other than a friend to witness my shame-fest attempt at exercise I'm glad I got to people watch these two. They were just endearing. Originally, I thought "oh a Brit" flashbacks to Physiology. Although my heart has warmed to old CJ, my original impression of him was pompous jerk. I projected these same feelings upon shirtless running man with wife. It was great to be pleasantly surprised. It was incredible how they just encouraged each other. You could see their love. I know it happens but it's just refreshing to see it.

Another flashback. I babysat a friend's grandson for a week. He was a pretty cool kid from Jersey. Ew, weirdo's he's 10 but the Jersey part is important. I almost wanted to kill him once he opened his mouth. His accent, his matter of speech, and mannerisms to and extent reminded me of my chemistry professor from college. I really had a hate relationship with oh Dr. A. It took all I had not to let my brain slip back into 2004 and accidentally break bad on this innocent kid in 2010. I'm good. We're good.. we're all good. Ironically, this kid reminded me of Dr. A. made me dislike Dr. A a little less. I'm not sure why but I think hanging out with this kid made me try to see Dr. A. as a kid, before he was a terrible professor, when life was simple and all he wanted to do was watch the Yankee's play. Can't really explain it but it was therapeutic. Speaking of therapeutic, can you catch what's wrong in this picture? (btw, I love Awkward Family Photos)

No comments: