Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder

Hey loverlies, it's been a while since we last spoke. I've miss you dearly. Ok, truth moment, not so much. I mean you, as a person, always holds a special place in my heart. Perhaps my Purkinje fibers? Trust me, those are very important.

Last Friday I hung out with my friend Kristin that I hadn't seen in forever. In college we called ourselves Reese's. I, of course what the chocolate, and dear Kris was the peanut butter (in the summer of course). It was great to see her. We had lunch a couple months back but before then I hadn't seen her in years.Last Saturday I went a bridal shower. It was way fun. As it would be, I can not hula hoop, but I can find my shoes and put them on the right feet. I'm just THAT good. I hope pictures were taken, I will share them as soon as I find them.

Sunday I went to church with my cousin Sara. I'd been there a few times before with, but Sara's not been there. It was good. When it comes to her Jesus Sara is outrageous. I love it. After church, Sara, Michelle (a new friend) and I set off for uncharted lands. Sara's parents had a cabin by the river. I think that was the name of a horror movie, no sorry, that was cabin by the lake. Anyway, it was scary enough for me. No cell phone service, out in the sticks, possibly the only person with a year long tan; your girl was worried. BUT thankfully, this cabin was out in the sticks enough that it was just us (the family, and such) so it was no big deal. And someone had cell phone service.

So, I've decided, I'm not so sure what I want in life. I never know really. My heart keeps urging for the city but when I walked into this cabin I was awestruck. There's something about cabins that just make me happy and this one didn't disappoint. It was absolutely gorgeous. I should have taken picture, but my mind quit working. So, we decided we'd lay out (*snicker*) and swim in the river that was like 2 seconds from the cabin.

I was breaking a few key black girl rules of life by this attempt. 1) Hair must not get wet and 2) You know you can't swim. Thing is I was feeling rebellious at the moment. So much for the rules, they're meant to be broken, right? Right! So hi ho, down the river we go. Rebellious, yes, stupid, no. I found a life jacket in the cabin, named her Jean and she became my friend (perhaps til the end, the jury was still out). Little did I know, the water was the least of my issues.

I just realized, that I forgot all I learned at the rafting company. Duh, when the water's low enough for me to touch the bottom, it means there's going to be tons of rocks. Since they're in a river, chances are they'll be wet. If they're there's a good probability they'll be slippery. Thus, walking barefoot on them with small feet was not a good idea. I wasn't graceful in the least bit. By the end though, I thought I'd perfected the art.. that was until it was time to get out of the river and walk up the bank. I felt five years old again. It was quite the production.

I had a great time though. I wish I had taken pictures. The best picture of the day I would have never posted anywhere though. Ok, I probably would. There's that shames me. But It was a picture of me and Jean (the life vest). Turns out Jean was made for kids so she didn't quite fit over the yeah, you know. So Jean wouldn't zip but there were these little buckle things on them so we strapped me in and I was gone. She turned out to be a a faithful friend. We floated down the river. It was a dream. For a girl who can't swim, I love the water.

So, all this to say, I had fun at the cabin. Lots of fun. I love Scattergories. I will own it soon. We should play it sometime. I'm dying to run off to Gatlinburg and spend the weekend in a cabin or something. The best part? Are you sitting? I was without cell phone service for hours and didn't even notice it. It felt good not having to be in constant awareness of my phone and constantly checking if I got a text message. I love text messages. They make my heart happy but it felt good to be disconnected for a while.

I love to feel connected to people be it my phone, facebook, aim or in real life. I think this 'no phone' thing was easy because I had no service and there was nothing I could do about it. I realized though, so much is lost in a text message or a wall post. It's kinda impersonal and it's always hard to tell what someone really means and one sentence can mean 1000 different things. I want to take it back old school. Really, not virtually, know people again. Thus, my drive to delete the old facebook again. Part of this is completely self seeking, because I need to focus on school again, but a bigger part of me is seeking to connect forreal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time!